On March 31, 2019, A bird hunter was walking with his dog on public lands in Marinette County, Wisconsin when the animal ingested something found on the thawed earth. The following is the account from the dog’s owner:
For those of you that don’t know, I lost my dog Ava to a poisoning incident that happened on public land on Helton Road off of Benson lake Road in Athelstane on 31 March. My dog died in my arms in a horrific and inhumane manner that no living animal should have to experience.
I am working with the WI DNR and Marinette Crime Stoppers to try and find the responsible party. I am starting a GoFundMe page to raise money for a reward to give to the person who can provide information that leads to finding out who is responsible for placing the poison in the woods.
Authorities believe the poison was put out by someone who is trying to eliminate the wolves in the area. If the money raised is never used to help catch the person(s) responsible I will donate all the money collected to a local animal shelter.
There have been additional reports of dogs poisonings as well as other wildlife in Marinette County and as far north as Florence County. If you you are a hunter or walking dogs in northern Marinette County please be careful and please help spread the word about this lethal hazard.
The area where the poisoning occurred is a popular area for bear hunters who are opposed to the recolonization of wolves in the area. Wisconsin bear hunters often advocate illegal poisoning of wolves following wolf depredation’s on bear hunting hounds. In addition to the above-mentioned reward, Wolf Patrol is also offering an additional $1000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of anyone illegally poisoning wildlife in Wisconsin.